Mashma'ut ha-emet ve-ha-ra'ayonot

Jeremiah Burke O'Neal is the author of Sufficiently Educated. Certificate of Baptism This certifies that Jeremiah Burke O'Neal child of Dudley O'Neal and his wife Natalie O'Neal Born March 24, 1981 at San Diego, California was Baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost on the 12TH day of January in the year of our Lord Ninteen Hundred and Eighty-Three (1983) sponsors Robert Maynard Betty Maynard Pastor THE REV. EDWARD W. WESSLING CHURCH Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 3450 Clairemont Dr. Your heavenly Father willed that you not remain dead in tresspasses and sin but come to new life in Him. In obediance to our Lord's command you have received Holy Baptism so that by the power of the Holy Spirit through water and the Word you might obtain the forgiveness of all your sin, deliverance from spiritual death and the devil, and the gift of eternal salvation. By Baptism God has made you a member of the holy Christian church, and His church, in turn, has acknowledged its responsibility for your further growth in Christian faith and knowledge and for your continued spiritual welfare. https://www.sufficientlyeducated.com/ March 19, 2025 Luke 22:43-44 43Then an angel from heaven appeared to Jesus and gave him strength. 44In his anguish he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground.
In 2024, I wrote my first Lenten devotional. I hadn’t seriously attended church in over 30 years, not since I went to Holy Cross with my grandfather. I didn’t know much about writing a devotional, so I researched it and determined that prayer was a major part of Lent. I prayed deeply at twilight under the stars, and those moments brought back fond memories of praying with my grandfather before bedtime, reminding me of the comfort and connection I felt in those times. I have questioned my faith and how to reconcile my beliefs with religion. In Luke 22:43-44, even Jesus struggled in Gethsemane, and as He prayed more earnestly, God sent an angel to strengthen Him. Reading this passage, I felt a similar reassurance—an intellectual and spiritual recognition that strength comes through seeking and reflection. After a year away from First Lutheran Church, I reflected deeply on my beliefs. In the fall, I prayed under the open sky and thought about returning. Pastor Kurt shared words that left an impression—that all kinds of people are welcome in God’s church. Being at First Lutheran Church has brought me comfort as an accepting and welcoming community. This year, I pray again during Lent, grateful for the harmony I’ve found in prayer, reflection, and a supportive community. Submitted by: Jeremiah Oneal First Lutheran Church 1420 Third Avenue San Diego, CA 92101

Comments